Sign our petition to make our voices heard.
- This is a continuation of what our dear friend Cassie started at change.org, but lets us have more tools to dialogue with you and keep you updated. So, if you haven't signed this petition, now is the time. If you have, please watch for our CALM updates soon.
- This is not a complaint about regular train noise. This is about a specific, sustained, high-pitched ring called "rail squeal" that occurs when trains take on a curve in the tracks.
- The decibel level of the rail squeal in the Seaholm District has, at times, exceeded 100 decibels and into the levels considered traumatic to human hearing—and it's happening sometimes multiple times a day and multiple times a night. This is hurting our local businesses, deterring people from enjoying our outdoor spaces, and making it difficult for people to sleep.
- This disrupts public park areas (Seaholm greenspaces, Electric Drive, Pfluger Pedestrian bridge and portions of the Lady Bird Lake trail), the new Austin Public Library, restaurants (Boiler 9, True Food, Trader Joe's, Super Burrito, Whole Foods, Trifecta, Irene's), multiple small businesses (salons, boutiques, dentists, real estate businesses, attorneys, pet supply stores, medical offices), large companies (Umbel, Under Armour, Athena Health), and homes (Spring Condominium, Seaholm Residences, 360 Condominiums, The Independent, Austin Proper Hotel and Residences, Fifth & West, Northshore, The Bowie, Gables West Avenue, Gables Park Plaza, Gables Park Tower, Amli 300).
- We have rules in place that prevent trains from honking their horns in our neighborhood during sleeping hours, but rail squeal can be louder than train horns and can last longer -- up to several minutes. All including during sleeping hours.
See Petition text below
photo credit Ron Zack flickr
We're asking for Union Pacific Railroad to dedicate the right resources to eliminate the rail squeal at the source. We'd like UPRR to work with our group to try different solutions and document progress to our community.